Monday, March 9, 2009

Fancy Nancy


by Jane O’Conner and illustrated by Robin Preiss-Glasser. Age K-3

As a tomboy myself, I thought I would not enjoy this book because it is about dressing up and being “fancy.” I was completely wrong and it is a delightful book. I was reminded of my innocence as a child from Nancy and desired to be a kid again. She reminded me that it is alright to pretend no matter how old you are. Throughout the book, Nancy teaches the importance of being fancy and other great French words. She realizes quickly that her family needs some training in being fancy and gives lessons and helps them accessorize their wardrobe. Her family supports her in being fancy and they enjoy a “Fancy” evening out in their new wardrobe. I love that her parents appreciate Nancy for who she is and allows to enjoy being “fancy.”

Fancy Nancy has become a popular series of books like Eloise, Olivia, and Madeline.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My 4-year-old daughter LOVES Fancy Nancy. Reading the series has really widened her vocabulary, and it's fun to have a context for me to share the French language with her. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Amanda said...

We have a couple of Fancy Nancy fans here as well. I expected my four year old to like it, but was surprised at how excited my two year old is when she finds our Fancy Nancy books on the shelf.

Kris said...

I've heard SO MUCH about the Fancy Nancy books, but have never had a chance to look at one. I will need to pick some up because I'm sure my girls would LOVE them!