Thursday, May 14, 2009

Summer reading

Often, I am asked "How can I encourage my child(ren) to read more during the summer?" I have a few suggestions:

1. Go the Library at least every 3 weeks. Children need to be exposed to print and have options/choices for reading. Also if you go every three weeks, you will remember to return the books and not get fined.

2. Don't force your child to read certain books. Find out what interest your child and let them read about it. My mother was concerned about my brother because all he loved to read was comic books. Reading is good, even if they are comic books. Interest and motivation are huge factors in reading. Nobody likes to be forced to read something they are not interested in. It can destroy the desire to read.

3. Ask you children about what they are reading. Take a few minutes each week to have a book discussion/club with your child. Adults love to talk about what they read and how they felt. Children enjoy doing the same thing. Ask them questions about what they read, how it made them feel, inferences, did they like it, etc...

1 comment:

Rich said...

Great post Rachel!! Going to the library often is terrific as there are so many choices and sometimes that is the only way children are exposed to all of the great books out there. And, it's free!

I love the suggestion about the home book club. Very neat.